Enneagram Typing Interview
Why do we use the Enneagram to help you develop Profile Awareness (the habitual patterns, inner motivations, beliefs and values that drive you)?
- It helps you identify formerly hidden habitual mental patterns (you’ll be struck by the clarity)
- It identifies your core emotions that drive the pattern (emotions often take you by surprise)
- Identifies the motivation underneath these habits. You discover that all are rooted in the natural human need for:
- Power and control
- Safety and security
- Affection and esteem
- Identifies core instincts which unconsciously respond to environmental stimuli. After all, we don’t live in a vacuum and we’re constantly responding to the world around us.
HIGH POTENTIAL FOR SELF-DEVELOPMENT
- Given your level of awareness at any given time, your type has healthy and less healthy ways of expressing itself.
- Awareness offers you the opportunity to choose your Actions consciously.
It’s different from other typing systems because:
- It’s not the byproduct of psychology even as it can help you become psychologically aware. Rather, it’s been developed through an oral tradition of real people who reflect upon their own inner patterns. Prestigious academic universities like Harvard and Stanford embrace the Enneagram.
- You don’t discover your type by taking a test (although online tests do exist, they are often inaccurate because the Enneagram types you from blind spots you often can’t see).
- You learn your type through a face-to-face interview and/or listening to a panel of exemplars as they answer questions and share their experiences, motivations and behaviors.
- You also deepen your understanding and compassion as you gain insight into other worldviews.
- It doesn’t box you in. Rather, it gives you tools to free you from the box you already are in. Many of us trained in the Enneagram are fully aware of the rich complexity of each human being and honor your uniqueness beyond type.
- It identifies energy patterns which often affect your health and well-being.
- You learn “Pause Practices” which enable you to pause and identify patterns you choose to work with and
Getting to the WHY:
It’s one thing to know who you are. We tend to learn that with life experience. Yet the Enneagram blew me away with its accuracy and its ability to get underneath our patterns to the “why’s.” This is where the rubber hits the road.